If you’re like many people, you use Microsoft Office Outlook as your communications, scheduling, and contact management hub for business. You can continue to use the familiar Outlook interface and integrate Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Sales at the same time by using Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Outlook. Dynamics 365 for Outlook can also provide access to Dynamics 365 data while you’re offline.
This article details how to set up Microsoft Dynamics 365 for Sales CRM in Outlook.
Step 1: Review Installation Prerequisites
Sign in as a Local Administrator
- To install Dynamics 365 for Outlook, you must be able to sign in to your computer as a user with Local Administrator privileges.In smaller companies, Dynamics 365 for Outlook is often installed manually, on a computer-by-computer basis. Administrators or individual users who have Local Administrator privileges and who possess a general familiarity with installing software can do these installations.
Review software requirements
Review hardware and network requirements
- Before you install Dynamics 365 for Outlook, make sure you have all the latest Microsoft Office updates, including all security updates from Microsoft Update. Go to Microsoft Update.
- To install Dynamics 365 for Outlook, you must have the appropriate security permissions. TechNet: Permissions required for Dynamics 365 for Outlook tasks.
Step 2: Download the Software
Before you or your users install Dynamics 365 for Outlook, please note the following:
- Make sure you have completed your desired Dynamics 365 customizations. If your users will use Dynamics 365 for Outlook in offline mode, for best performance, enable only the minimum required record types (entities) and views for offline use. For more information, see TechNet: Customize your Dynamics 365 system.
- Group Policy Folder Redirection with offline files is not supported in Dynamics 365 for Outlook. If your Dynamics 365 data is stored with redirected offline files, users may be unable to use Dynamics 365 for Outlook. More information: TechNet: Using Folder Redirection
- For synchronization to work correctly, we recommend that you turn on Cached Exchange Mode in Outlook. More information: Office: Turn Cached Exchange mode on or off
Download the software
- In Dynamics 365, click the Settings icon , and then click Apps for Dynamics 365.
- On the Apps for Dynamics 365 page, click Download from Microsoft Download Center.
If you prefer, you can download the software from this web page.
- If you see one or more Security Warning dialog boxes, click Run in each.The software will start downloading and you’ll see the following dialog box:
- In the Getting Started with Dynamics 365 for Outlook dialog box, under 2. Configure, click Copy to copy your organization’s URL to your computer’s Clipboard. You’ll paste this URL in the following Configure step.
- Click Run, when prompted, to download the software.
- In the Browse For Folder dialog box, select a folder to store the extracted Outlook files. We recommend that you store the extracted files in a separate folder (choose the Make New Folder option in the dialog box to create a folder without exiting the wizard).
- On the License Agreement page, if you accept the license agreement, select I accept the license agreement, and then click Next.
- Do one of the following:
- To install Dynamics 365 for Outlook without offline capability, click Install Now.
- To install Dynamics 365 for Outlook with offline capability, click Options, select the Offline Capability check box on the Customize Installation page, and then click Install Now. If you don’t install offline capability during installation, you can add it later by choosing Go Offline in Dynamics 365 for Outlook.
Important: If you aren’t able to install offline capability, check to make sure you don’t have any pending Windows updates. Learn more about Windows updates
- When prompted, restart Outlook.
Step 3: Configure Dynamics 365 for Outlook
After restarting Outlook, you’ll see the following dialog box:
- Press Ctrl+V to paste the URL you copied in the preceding Download the software step, and then click Connect. You can also enter a Server URL or a Discovery URL.
- If you’re prompted for a password, enter the password.
If you want to add another organization, you can run the Configuration Wizard again after you have successfully configured the first organization. To run the Configuration Wizard, in the Windows 8 Start screen, search for Configuration Wizard and run it. In earlier versions of Windows, click Start > All Programs > Microsoft Dynamics 365, and then click Configuration Wizard.
If you encounter an issue configuring Dynamics 365 for Outlook with your Dynamics 365 (online) organization, use the Microsoft Support and Recovery Assistant to diagnose and fix the issue. You’ll need to sign in to the diagnostics tool with your Dynamics 365 (online) credentials.